As usual, I went easy with the markings. The kit decals are a mixed bag: they slide off the backings quite quickly but they have a satin sheen and some of the white ones tore easily. They also didn’t react much with Mark Softer.
I began weathering with panel lining with lamp black oil paint. This adds a subtle depth to the panel lines. I then assembled the kit together before going onto the filtering stage.
First up a look at the surface after panel lining but before filters.
I then added small drops of white, yellow and blue oil paint over the surfaces.
With a damp flat brush and up down motion, I then blended the oil paints together.
It’s subtle, but the oil paints add additional depth and variation to the colors. I also find that they blend the 2 camo colors together. At this stage I found seamlines that I didn’t fix properly. Oh well, moving on.
I messed up the final flat coat in my hurry to finish. The finish is pebbly in some spots due to uneven application.
Anyway, more weathering is next. Basically it’s:
These were all done to taste. Thankfuly, I managed to mitigate the pebbly-ness of the flat coat somewhat.
From the beginning of this build, I managed to lose the 2 chest inserts but luckily it looks OK without them.
I’ll try to clean up the dust marks, add a final flat coat to seal in the pigments and I can call this one done.
Following the footsteps of Kotobukiya’s Arbalest from Full Metal Panic! come Bandai’s own version of the Armed Slaves. And they are in the same scale too. Hmmm…
Anyway, the Armed Slaves from Bandai’s releases look to be in the configuration they will have in the upcoming Full Metal Panic! animated series premiering in April 2018.
Final product pictures have popped up on the internet and it looks good. But it’s a Wave kit, which based on my experience usually means the plastic would be softer, the molding would not be as sharp as Bandai or Hasegawa and there might be fit issues. Still, I’m glad someone is finally tackling this very rare variable fighter.
This one’s coming @ 6,264 JPY in February. More pictures are on Hobbysearch.
Painting begins with a base coat of black. For this build, I tried Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black thinned with Mr. Color lacquer thinner for the base coat. Having not have much luck with using acrylic-based primers (I find them hard to use), using this new combo was very easy. I thinned the paint 1:1 and was done in no time. The finish is a lot stronger than acrylic primer : it doesn’t chip as easily. Going forward, I think I’ll base coat with lacquer paint.
I then added a marble coat with a gray color. I hoped that this would add some subtle variation of the actual color. I messed up the marble coat though and only realized why when I was cleaning the airbrush: the paint gunked up in the cup and nozzle. I suspect this is due to using Tamiya Acrylic Retarder on AK Interactive acrylic paint. I’ll need to test this some more.
Taking a look after painting, the marbling effect only shows up in the red colored parts.
I decided to do the marble coat again. As you can see, I’m not that neat about it.
The color scheme is a splinter camouflage of dunkelgrun and grau like what the German Luftwaffe used in WWII. First on is dunkelgrun (dark green). I then masked the pattern and sprayed grau (gray) next.
I do the same for the all the parts that will have the dunkelgrun and grau colors. The inside sections of the pelvis and shoulder plates where then painted in gunship gray.
Once these have cured it’s time for decals.
New year, new project. This time it’s a snapfit kit from Max Factory. The subject is the Soltic Roundfacer, a mass production mecha from the 1980s anime Fang of the Sun Dougram. This show was never exported out of Japan so I’ve never actually watched it. But I’ve always liked the designs of the mecha. For western folks who play Battletech, the Roundfacer would look familiar as FASA pretty much stole the design and renamed it the Griffin. The design of this kit is retro and has a certain charm to it.
Fitting-wise, the kit is not as well done as a typical Bandai kit. Also unlike Bandai, they don’t really make the effort of hide the seamlines. The molding is good in general though, and it can be easily painted in sub assemblies. The polycaps however, aren’t the best. Some of the fitting of the limbs is looser and the arms don’t fit well at all to the body: they fall off even just being left alone. All in all, I would probably rank this between a Bandai and a Wave kit.
The pilot figure will need to be cemented inside the cockpit since nothing holds it in place, which is odd. The size of the pilot also looks to be slightly bigger than 1/72. The gun also pretty much cannot be held with any positive lock by the hand. I fixed that with a small wad of blutack. A pleasant surprise is the prepainted canopy which would have been a challenge to mask properly.
Instead of trying to find and fit a smaller ball or socket polycap into the shoulders I tried the simplest fix first: I carefully sanded the ball joint flatter on one side and they now fit snugly. I did however, manage to lose one of the rings that go between the fist and the cuff so I decided to scratch a new one from some Kotobukiya Round Thrusters. I just needed to make sure the hole I made clears the square polycap on the cuff. The new part I made looks alright. It’s thicker so I went ahead and made another one to replace the remaining kit part.
Seamline fixing is next and I’ll be ready to paint this thing.