WIP : Fine Molds 1/72 Y-Wing Fighter Pt.2 – Painting & Finishing

Painting begins with my usual black base using Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black.

I’m trying a different marble coat this time with patches of various colors. I wanted to see these would have effect on the main colors.

The primary color for the Y-wing is thinned Game Color Dead White. The nice thing about priming in black is the spots that aren’t hit by the main color simply become shadows.

I’ve always remembered the Y-wing chevrons to be orange (in reality they are a faded yellow) so I’m going ahead with this color instead. Out come the masking tape. It took a while to get the tape to conform around the many gribbles on the nacelles.

The color scheme I’m going for is Game Color Fiery Orange and AMMO Medium Gunship Grey on the nose and nacelles. The result has an unexpected 1970s vibe to it. 😀

Weathering is next. The Astromech was handpainted and attached then everything was given a gloss coat. First up is panel washing with Raw Umber oil paint.

It was a bit hard to be precise about it on the gribble so I basically ended up with a filter on some of the areas.

Before proceeding with chipping, I added some red and blue filters to random spots. These are quite subtle and my camera couldn’t quite ‘see’ them. Not enough dynamic range I guess. They look OK in person though.

Anyway next was sponge chipping. I still find it a challenge to make the chipping totally random but this stage is quite fun. 😀

Some close-up shots of the chipping. I made it heavier on the port side since the pilot enters and exits the Y-wing from this side so there would be more scuff marks.

To add more subtle variation, I handpainted lightened orange and gray to the main colors.

I added more chipping to the landing skid since these would impact the ground and get scuffed. I also added soot stains to the proton torpedo launchers using Tamiya Weathering Master. Not quite sure what these weapons use for propulsion but hey… the stains add to the overall look.

And I’m more or less done. I’ll let the kit marinate overnight and see if it requires more chipping tomorrow. Then the canopy’s clear insert will go on last.

Build Log
Pt. 1 – Construction | Pt. 2 – Painting & Finishing

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: