WIP : Max Factory 1/72 Soltic Roundfacer Pt. 3 – Finishing

As usual, I went easy with the markings. The kit decals are a mixed bag: they slide off the backings quite quickly but they have a satin sheen and some of the white ones tore easily. They also didn’t react much with Mark Softer.

I began weathering with panel lining with lamp black oil paint. This adds a subtle depth to the panel lines. I then assembled the kit together before going onto the filtering stage.

First up a look at the surface after panel lining but before filters.

I then added small drops of white, yellow and blue oil paint over the surfaces.

With a damp flat brush and up down motion, I then blended the oil paints together.

It’s subtle, but the oil paints add additional depth and variation to the colors. I also find that they blend the 2 camo colors together. At this stage I found seamlines that I didn’t fix properly. Oh well, moving on.

I messed up the final flat coat in my hurry to finish. The finish is pebbly in some spots due to uneven application.

Anyway, more weathering is next. Basically it’s:

  1. adding filters and blending with oil paint
  2. chipping with acrylic paint
  3. drybrush with acrylic paint
  4. streaking with oil paint
  5. dusting with pigment

These were all done to taste. Thankfuly, I managed to mitigate the pebbly-ness of the flat coat somewhat.

From the beginning of this build, I managed to lose the 2 chest inserts but luckily it looks OK without them.

I’ll try to clean up the dust marks, add a final flat coat to seal in the pigments and I can call this one done.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: