Tag: FIgures

Guide : Painting a 1/48 US WWII Pilot

While finishing my Italeri 1/48 A-36 Apache, I decided to go ahead and paint up a pilot figure so I can use it as a size reference. It’s what I have been doing with my 1/72 modern pilot. This WWII pilot figure comes from the Hasegawa 1/48 WWII Pilot Figure Set. The instructions simply say ‘US pilot’ so I’m not sure if this represents a USAAF or USN pilot. I think it’s the latter though. In any case, this is the only option for a US pilot.

The details are decent but nothing to shout home about. Clean up however was minimal.

First I sprayed a base coat of black.

Then I sprayed white at a 45 degree angle from above. This simulates the Sun as the light source so I immediately get some highlights and shadows.

The basic colors are then handpainted. Some of the highlights and shadows can still be seen which is what we want.

Then I washed the figure with Army Painter Warpaints Soft Tone for the flesh with Army Painter Warpaints Dark Tone and Citadel Shade Nuln oil for the rest.

Once the washes have cured, I went back in to add highlights using the same basic colors.

The end result is… decent for an hour’s work. But it doesn’t look half bad posed with a plane so I’m more than happy with it.

The box comes with RAF, IJA/IJN and Luftwaffe pilots too so there’ll be more practice to come.

Interlude : 1/87 Miniature Project

Over the last few days I’ve been helping my friend with a commercial project using 1/87 scale figures. Due to its commercial nature, I can’t show the final figures and pictures.

I can however, show this one figure I modified from a mountain climber into a guy in a bathrobe. It’s a rejected figure that I spent the most effort on. Oh well. 😀 Anyway, the idea was a man in a bathrobe stepping onto a weighing scale.

I trimmed the jacket and leggings, added parts of the robe with epoxy putty, chopped and swapped in a bare head and added painted on slippers. Then the whole figure was repainted. In the end though, a different figure concept was used.

And lastly, some non-spoilery behind-the-scenes photos I took…