WIP : Bandai 1/144 RGC-80 GM Cannon Pt.1 – Construction

It’s actually quite strange that Bandai still hasn’t issued any of the Federation mobile suits in the MSV line but have done so for the much newer Origin MSV. Oh well, if I knew what’s going on, I’d be the product line manager for Bandai. In any case, I sought to modify the Origin MSV GM Cannon Space Assault Type into the original bog standard GM Cannon from MSV.

The kit is a P-Bandai limited release so it comes with a monochrome boxart. Besides the simplified instructions, everything is as it should be: sharply molded parts that snapfit without any issues.

To replicate the original GM Cannon’s legs, I took the legs from the GM Thunderbolt kit. Thankfully they attach without modifications.

I like the overall look but the thighs look ‘off’: too bulky. It also had canvas covered leg joints. I decided to see if I can modify the Space Type’s thighs to fit the GM Thunderbolt lower legs.

I began by keeping the knee sections on the Space Type’s lower legs, then experimented with plastic rod and plates for gribbling.

The ability to bend at the knees is retained but the assembly doesn’t snapfit into the lower legs. Nothing that cement 1.0 won’t fix.

Playing around with other sized rods, I managed to replicate some pistons. I also added a tab with plastic sheet on the bottom.

It now slots into the er… slot I made inside the lower leg. The inside of the lower legs were blanked off using plastic plate.

The pistons aren’t obvious once the leg is assembled but ‘I know it’s there’.

The side of the knee looked empty so I added minus molds from Kotobukiya for more detail.

I think the new leg looks better. Now I just have to replicate it for the other leg.

Build Log
Part 1 – Construction | Part 2 – Construction

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: