While plugging along with the F-14+ Kai, I decided to start on this one which hopefully will be a sanity build. Since this this a new Airfix kit, I think it won’t present too many problems.
Details are good and everything is crisply molded. But there are no seatbelt details nor decals for them.
These are easily done with Aizu masking tape with the help of some references.
After spraying Lifecolor RLM99 over a base of black, I picked out the details like the seat back and belts with handpainting.
I then chipped using silver paint and gave everything a wash using Citadel Nuln Oil Wash.
The interior is surprisingly detailed with very nicely done sidewall details.
These were painted RLM99 over a base of black with the switches picked out in AK Interactive Black Grey. There’s also an oil tank in Model Air Metal Steel on the front bulkhead.
These were given the same weathering as the pilot seat.
I decided to paint the instrument console instead of using the kit decal. The dials were painted with Model Air Aggressor Grey which I think looks better with the reduced contrast than the usual white color I use.
A look at the assembled cockpit before closing it up.
Definitely enough details for me.
This is especially so in combination with the sidewalls.
With the cockpit done I can move on to main construction. It’s been very straightforward so far.
Part 1 – Cockpit | Part 2 – Construction