WIP : Fujimi 1/72 RF-4C Phantom II Pt.1 – Construction

Next build up is an oldie but goodie (famous last words). Having built one in the mid 1990s in college I remember this kit to fit well in general and with fewer parts than the Hasegawa counterpart, would be a quicker build. I was planning for this kit to be part of a groupbuild with a bunch of local modelers. It’s due at the end of May.

A quick dry fit shows however, that the fit is wonky.

It looks like the fuselage halves have somehow warped (foreboding music).

Plowing on, the ejection seats get some work by way of harness details using 0.7mm masking tape. The seats were quickly painted and weathered and set aside.

I added sidewall details with plastic plate to busy them up. It’s nothing accurate and will not be too visible once closed up.

Painted and given a wash, these look alright.

I found more warped parts. This time if was the cockpit tub, which didn’t sit quite right on the bottom fuselage plate. I added a length of sprue to push the tub up to the correct height.

The fuselage halves included alignment tabs on the bottom but these refused to line up so I trimmed one off. I added spreader bars inside the fuselage to minimize the gap with the wingroots. Note the clamp on the right of the photo. I had to use one to keep the 2 halves together until the cement cures. Only brute force works.

The spreaders work and the wingroot gaps are kept to a minimum.

Fit of the fuselage halves though… is disheartening.

There’s a V-shaped notch going down the whole upper fuselage. Not difficult to fix, but the upper details will be gone by the time it’s fixed.

I seriously didn’t expect the fit to be so bad on this one.

Build Log
Part 1 – Construction | Part 2 – Construction | Part 3 – Construction | Part 4 – Painitng

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: