Bandai has released official pics of their upcoming 1/72 B-Wing Starfighter. This finally completes the 4 Rebel Alliance Starfighters in 1/72 scale. This will uniquely feature a Sullustan pilot figure and ‘glowing’ exhaust parts with an optional LED unit.
Another unique feature is revealed if you clicked onto the announcement of the 1/2,700,000 (lol) Death Star II. With some forced perspective, you can model the B-wing together with the Death Star ‘to recall the illustrations of the concept artist Ralph Macquarie (sic)!’.
Yeesh, I can only feel my wallet groaning…
This is coming in August 2018 @ 4,980JPY. More pictures on Bandai Hobby Site.
This is actually my son’s third finished kit (the second one has broken to pieces before any photos have been taken) but is his first figure.
Bernard, the owner of M Workshop kindly gave my son this small set when we dropped by his shop earlier this year. The figure is painted primarily with Vallejo Game Color.
He has already started on his next kit, a 1/48 scale Bf109. Hopefully he’ll see this one through.
To address the step between the front canopy and the nose, it was a matter of putty + elbow grease with a sanding sponge. However, the way the front canopy attaches to the nose, the port side joint is only (at most) 0.5mm away from a panel line. Naturally I managed to obliterate part of the panel line so some rescribing was needed.
While the general fit of the canopies look OK, I decided to leave them open for this build. And since they are quite bare, I also decided to torture myself and add some handles and rear view mirrors. First up is masking.
The insides were also masked…
The rear view mirrors are put together from 0.2mm plastic plate and a bit of stretched sprue.
I used thin solder wire for the handles. The design and placement of these are based on photos I found online.
Looks acceptable after a spray of color. Might be a tad oversized and crude but I’m moving on.
After some more masking of the cockpit, intakes and the main landing gear, it looks like I’m finally ready for painting!
In between sessions of gap fixing, I started on the things under the wings. The kit comes with 4 gas bags but I decided to go with just the 2 outer ones. The wheels all come with the rim and tires being separate but while that makes them easy to paint, they needed trimming and a healthy dose of sanding to fit together.
I first inserted plastic plates to to fill a majority of the gap in the coaming, then the rest will be handled by filler.
I did the same for the gap on the main gear door.
The speed brakes are also usually closed when the plane is on the ground but these don’t fit well at all.
To make my life easier, I cut off the legs of the speed brakes, trimmed everything, then fit them that way. The cut marks will be tackled with more filler.
The gap fixing is taking a while…
The main issues being the intake lips to intake fit and the exhaust housings which have big steps all round the joint areas.
The canopy parts were given a dip of Future and left to dry for close to 72 hours and were test fitted onto the fuselage. The fit is decent but I think I’ll leave the canopies open, which means I’ll have to detail up the inside of the frames.
The instruction calls for a clear piece for the HUD projector (?) but I decided to replace this with G-Option’s Aurora Film. I punched out a small round piece and stuck it into the hole. Looks good!
The HUD itself is a piece of photoetch which I folded carefully. The kit parts for the glass were replaced with thinner acetate and given a brush of Future.
After masking the inside of the front canopy, I sprayed Panzer Dark Grey. Referring to photos I found online, I added ‘a round thing’ and 2 ‘side blocks’ (yes those are the technical terms) using plastic plate and stretched sprue.
The front canopy is molded with a part of the nose. But it sits just slightly proud so more elbow grease is required.
It’s been slow going, but I’m getting there!
This was unexpected but very welcome. A new Godmars model kit is coming! It looks like there will be part swapping involved depending on what mode the modeler wants to achieve. It’s simpler and probably more sturdy this way as it will feature a lot of articulation.
This is coming in August @ 7,500JPY. More pics in Hobby Search.