DAMN! Missed some painting. For lack of a better word, the chevrons on the engine housings need to be painted. The instructions called for a silver color but I chose black gray instead. There are also what looks like gun barrels on each side of the housing that needs to be painted.
The shape of the chevron was pretty complicated so I ended up using masking tape, paper to cover the decals and liquid mask. The it’s a matter of airbrushing black gray.
Next is time for weathering. Having managed to find a bottle of odorless turpentine, I decided to give the kit an oil wash of Paynes Gray on the panels. It also ended up giving the kit an overall filter which blended the camouflage together in my eye. Nice.
For the bottom, the resulting wash was very subtle. It’s only obvious at certain angles, otherwise it’s pretty much invisible. I used a combination of straight Paynes Gray and a lightened version of it. This being the first time I’m trying to ‘wash’ a black surface’, the result is not what I have expected, but it turned out all right.
Time to gloss up the kit to prepare for decals! For the top, I sprayed on Krylon Preserve it!. It however didn’t layer on very smoothly. It’s smooth to the touch, but it doesn’t LOOK smooth… strange…
I decided to try using Future Floor Polish for the bottom. Now I’ve never had good experiences airbrushing Future (it spatters when used straight from the bottle) so I’ve relegated it to glossing up clear parts by dipping. However, I’ve read that you can thin it 50/50 with Isopropynol Alcohol. So what now? Using my 0.2 airbrush, it did go on very well. Being quite thin, it also did not pool at all. Nice.
A total of 48 hours was needed for both layers to cure properly before decaling can commence. Hasegawa decals have a reputation of being thick and this one’s no different. Although I have to say the small warning markings are easier to handle because of that.
I had a choice of 3 different noseart. I picked the babe who’s most naked
So after having a talk with some buddies, I decided to repaint the bottom color of the VF-22S. I originally used Gunship Gray. I replaced this with Vallejo Model Air Black Grey which is basically FS37031. Now it matches the line art more.
I think I like this better! 🙂
Managed to get some work done tonight. I’m on a roll I guess. 🙂
First I laid blutack around the demarcation lines. I originally laid some masking tape over the darker gray before the blutack to prevent overspray. Too much work though so for the rest I just went straight with blutack.
To make sure I get sharp lines, I had to spray directly perpendicular to the surface. Some touching up here and there will be required but I think the results turned out quite well.
As usual with acrylic paints, some paint got lifted when I removed the blutack and masking tape. I will need to sand these down and respray.
I’ve decided on the color scheme! Nope, not going with splinter camo this time… 😀
For the darker shade of gray, I’m using Life Color Light Gray (FS 36251).
The camo was done freehand.
This is actually my first time I’m airbrushing Life Color and I have to say that while it hand brushes very well, I find ease of use for airbrushing to be in between Vallejo and Model Master Acryl.
I didn’t have to be as precise when thinning it than Vallejo. But even at 15psi, it dries a lot faster on the airbrush tip than Vallejo so I ended up having to do a lot of cleaning of the tip with a wet cotton bud. Model Master Acryl is much easier to thin and doesn’t dry at the tip as much.
I’m considering making the camo demarcation sharper. First though, I’ll let everything dry first.