Category: On the Bench

WIP : Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0C Phoenix Pt. 4

There’s a long seamline all the way down from the intake to the exhaust. Sigh.

Some work needed to be done to close the rear landing gear doors. As mentioned before, it’s clear Hasegawa means for this kit to have the landing gear down. I added some plastic card to the inside of the gearbay so the doors won’t fall in.

Then I use some more plastic card to act as a bridge to join the two halves together. I also cut off the gear door actuators.

A bit of sanding to shape and elbow grease later, the doors are in. Some more sanding required but it’s not too bad.

WIP : Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0C Phoenix Pt. 3

Urgh… many many injection pin marks. Some in crazy places.

Like below. What were you thinking Hasegawa? ๐Ÿ˜›

Some badly molded parts too. Nothing that putty can’t fixed though.

Pin marks inside the intake is a typically Hasegawa thing.

Simple to fix but annoying.

Some of the parts will actually be hidden. So hidden that I won’t need to paint it. So it’s here for posterity :D.

WIP : Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0C Phoenix Pt. 2

Handpainting time! First up the ejection seat which is pretty straightforward. Black with OD cushion.

I decided to give the pilot a tan flightsuit like what US pilots wear now in the Middle East. Bright helmet and shoulder pads though. Just because… ๐Ÿ™‚

The center console is next. Since the VF-0C will be in-flight, the MFDs will be on so I painted them a bright green. Will be adding a drop of Future floor polish on each MFD to make them really glossy.

WIP : Hasegawa 1/72 VF-0C Phoenix Pt.1

For Plamo’s annual WOOB competition, the theme this year is Do You Remember Macross. I’ve been honored to be asked to be a judge apparently because Iรขโ‚ฌโ„ขm a Macross fanboy haha!

I actually have two other ongoing WIPs that can be considered for WOOB, but what the heck, I decided to add another one. ๐Ÿ™‚ Any excuse to take another kit out of my stash. This one is Hasegawa’s VF-0C Phoenix. None of them will be eligible for any prizes of course.

This time I’m trying something different. I’m building as many subassemblies as possible and then painting all of them in one shot. Let’s see how that goes. With this approach, I got quite a bit of construction done in 2.5 hours.

Ejection seat. Made up of 3 parts. No belts but it will be covered by the pilot.

Pilot. Interestingly, the box comes with 2 of these. 2 seats too. Guess they didn’t bother to rebox from the VF-0D release.

Cockpit. I decided to cement this down to the lower fuselage upfront.

Gun and arms. Simple affairs but ugly seamlines abound.

Head. Half of the head will be hidden but it’s nice they included the whole thing.

Upper fuselage. I deviated from the instructions which call for the nose and rear fuselage to be first assembled separately before joining together. My way will allow me to reduce the chances of a step or gap on the joint between the nose and rear fuselage.

Stores. The kit gave me options for the underwing weapons. I decided to go with the HAIM-95A (which look like external fuel tanks) and keep the GH-28A rocket pods for another VF-0. Besides, there will already be a pair of GH-28s overwing.

Wings. These are big delta-wings with all the flaps and slats already attached. Would have been cool if they were separate though. I also added the weapons pylons here.

Front landing gear. I model all Macross fighters with their gear up but it’s clear Hasegawa intended for the landing gear to be posed down so some work needs to be done to close them up properly. Lots of wrestling with parts and sanding down for them to fit semi-properly here. Definitely needs some cleanup later.

WIP : Hasegawa 1/72 VF-22S Sturmvogel II Pt.4

One last look before sealing the canopy! First up I hand painted the cockpit sills with black grey and instrument coaming US grey. Both are given a black wash and lightly drybrushed to pop the details.

I dipped the canopy in Future then cemented it to the kit. In addition to the super shine, the Future actually prevents the cement from fogging the canopy. Then I had to mask the frame. I used a combination of masking tape and liquid mask for this because of the odd shapes.

After this I painted the canopy frame in black grey so the main color won’t show through when I paint the main fuselage color.

1 25 26 27 28 29 30